Sunday, February 23, 2014

What is a facilitator?

Agh... First time in a long time where I have had white knuckles flying out of Dunedin... That moment when you look across the aisle and both smile awkwardly... Wondering if this is it... Okay, so a few minutes later and we're cruising along and I wonder what I was making all the fuss about but that WAS NOT a nice take-off... And they warn of the same coming into Christchurch... So here are my thoughts for the blog for today!

I am a learning with digital technologies facilitator! My recent cross post from the CORE blog explains the name change from blended e-learning facilitator with the focus firmly in the learning now...


This year our project has changed its name to LwDT (Learning with Digital Technologies)*. This change was to reflect the deepening understanding that learning and learners must be at the centre and that technology is a way to enhance this learning. Building the understandings and capabilities of teachers is at the heart of improving outcomes for our students.

I think it is time for me to discuss and explore further the role facilitator!

FACILITATOR is defined, in a nexus reading I am currently enjoying as:
Someone skilled in group dynamics and learning processes and with access to key sources of expertise and knowledge.  He or she encourages people to participate in network activity and makes it easier for groups of people to work and learn together and for the learning to be shared.

I don't know about you but I love that definition.

I want to break it down and explore it a little further...

Someone skilled in group dynamics and learning processes...
As teachers I think we grow in devil net of group dynamics and learning processes everyday. My recent catch phrase 'situational analyst' applies perfectly to life in the classroom and as a facilitator.  We are constantly analysing the situation and refining, adjusting, extending, re-thinking to best meet this situation.

...with access to key sources of expertise and knowledge.
Implicit in this is that we are NOT experts.  We facilitate! We have access to expertise and knowledge and are charged to support, network and connect.

... He or she encourages people to participate in network activity...
We are modelling being connected and networked through our participation in online learning communities.  We support others to network and connect online.  We cluster and support as needs require. We actively model 'connectedness'.  The power of us working in this way is exponentially greater than the sum of our parts. Our team is a wonderful example of this as we share our strengths, passions, talents, expertise and challenge enabling all to grow on our journey.

... makes it easier for groups of people to work and learn together and for the learning to be shared.
Facilitators have the privilege of modelling and supporting others to learn together.  With a view to increasing capability and capacity, our role is about growing the strengths of others. In this way sustainability is not only possible but probable,

On reflection, what an incredible privilege it is to be a facilitator!

What is the highlight of your facilitator journey? (I am now thinking of all educators as facilitators!)

As a side note: my darling Mum calls me a facilitator of happiness, a precious title she bestows on me! Reflecting on the key components of facilitation I believe that if I can add a layer of happiness (and of course MAGIC) to my facilitation role, then I am well on the way to being the best I can be....

No comments:

Post a Comment