Today the goal is to create a Me Manifesto! This instantly appeals to me having long being a fan of the Holstee Manifesto!
I have this on my wall and as a screen saver and often reflect on and share the words. Then in November I met the Sandbox Manifesto with Angela Maiers! The whole notion of play in learning resonates so well with me. Those of you who know me will know that fun and play is a big part of who I am!
So, to see the word Manisfesto in the challenge was awesome, and to see the word Me with it was a challenge. What is my manisfesto? Firstly, what exactly is a Manifesto?
as defined by http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/manifesto
A manifesto is a public declaration of principles and intentions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifesto
So this is to be my declaration of my beliefs, my passions, my objectives, what makes me tick! It is what I believe about life and learning, it is what I am about! And it is my intentions!
My Me Manifesto:
- Learning must be FUN - There must be fun in my day and in my learning!
- MAGIC must be present - by this I mean there must be a certain enchantment or WOW factor or mystery and intrigue!
- Honour all learners - Each learner must be honoured, accepted, respected, and challenged
- Challenging - "Our task, regarding creativity, is to help children climb their own mountains, as high as possible. No one can do more" LORIS MALAGUZZI Using James Nottingham's Challenging learning philosophy I aim to challenge my learners into, through and out of the learning pit.
- Collaborative - I am really focusing on distant collaborative learning to connect my learners with a range of expertise and interests.
- Authentic - I believe that all learners need a real purpose and authenticity for their learning.
- Extended family involvement - it is crucial for me to have extended family involved in goal setting, learning, reflecting and celebrating.
- Differentiate learning - allow learning to travel different routes, have different learning journeys
- Personalise learning - teaching and learning must meet the needs and aspirations of the learner
- Allow for learning spaces - spaces must be created with and by the learners to allow for challenge and success
- Team - learning is a team effort with everyone needing their own PLN (personal learning network)
- Integrate play - play is integral to all experiences and I like the Google adage of 80% work and 20% innovation in a week! For my programme, the innovation often comes in the 'play' time of Funky Friday sessions where creation and innovation rule!
That was an awesome path of self discovery as I reflect on what is key to my teaching and learning philosophies. I am sure I have missed some key points but I am happy with where this is for now!