Sunday, September 6, 2015

Deep in the learning pit... Te Reo Manahua Māori - Topic 2.2: Hei Taonga Māku

Te Reo Manahua Māori - Topic 2.2: Hei Taonga Māku
Precious to me…
Here I am in the adobe connect for this week…. And only late last night did I complete last week’s challenge! Handing over a link to my extended pepeha was like handing over a part of my heart and soul… What an incredible journey it was to share all the way back to my grandparents… My cultural cloak is growing… I am working on an actual weaving of the complexity of cultures…
This week’s whakatauki….
Ahakoa he iti, he pounamu.
Although it is small, it is precious.
This week’s Tīwhiri Tikanga –
A well known tikanga aspect is that we don't sit on tables. This really comes down to hygiene in that you wouldn't put food where your bottom has been. There are also other extensions to this such as you don't put clothes on a table and you don't put any food on seats. A lot of tikanga relate to hygienic practices.”


He kuini tāu? - Have you got a queen? - great game to learn sentence structure…


He ______ tāu?  Have you got _____
Kāore aku ________ No I haven’t got __________
Ae aku ______ Yes I have got ________




Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 2.37.02 pm.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 2.37.20 pm.png


Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 2.40.21 pm.png




Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 3.09.35 pm.png


Two women talking...
He tamariki āu?
Do you have any children?


● Āe, he tamariki āku, he mokopuna hoki āku, tokorua ā māua mokopuna. Yes, two children and two grandchildren, and a grandchild.


He tamariki āu?
Do you have children?


Āe, he tamariki āku, engari kāore anō tāku tamahine kia whanau mai ētahi mokopuna māku. Ko tāna ngeru tāna pēpi.
Yes I have two children, but I don’t have any grandchildren yet in our family. The cat is the baby.


● I wau nei! Kei te noho tata ā kōrua tamariki ki a koe?
Do your children come to sleep or stay at your place?


Kei te noho tata tā māua tama ki a māua, ka kai ia ki tō māua whare i ngā wā katoa. Ahua roa te haerenga i waenganui i tō māua whare ki tō to māua tamahine whare. Ko te nuinga o te wā, he pakaru no tō rāua ko tāna tane waka, kāore rāua mo te hoki hoki mai ki tō māua whare.


My son stays at my place a lot.  He spends his time between our place and my daughter’s place. He spends the majority of his time at his son’s place, because his car is broken down.


Hei Taonga Māku


First attempt:


Tenei nga keretao ā koutou - these are their puppets
Kei te pānui whakaahua ā tāua - this is our poster
Kei te mahi ā rātou - this is there work 3+
Ko tenei waka ia - that is his car
Kei te tenei tōku waka - this is my helicopter
Kei te pukpuka aku tamariki - this is the children’s book
Ko tamāhine tā tāua - this is our daughter
Kei te waenga tā mātou - this is our garden 3+
Kei te rare a ia - these are their lollies


Second attempt, combined with third attempt with amazing support from Gemma:


Tenei nga keretao ā koutou - these are their puppets
He nga keretao ēnei
Ko ēnei ā rātou keretao. (more formal)
Ā rātou keretao ēnei. (less formal)


Kei te pānui whakaahua ā tāua - this is our poster (tā - one)
He pānui whakaahua tā tāua
Ko tenei tā māua pānui whakaahua.
Tā māua pānui whakaahua.


Kei te mahi ā rātou - this is their work 3+
He mahi tā koutou
Ko tēnei ā rātau mahi
Ā rātau mahi tēnei


Ko tenei waka ia
He tena waka ia
Ko tērā tōna waka. - that is his car
Tōna waka tērā?
Ae, Tōna waka tērā


Kei te tenei tōku waka - this is my helicopter
Ko tēnei tōku waka topatopa


Kei te pukapuka aku tamariki - this is the children’s book
Ko tēnei tā ngā tamariki pukupuka
Tā ngā tamariki pukupuka tēnei


Ko tamāhine tā tāua
He tamāhine tā tāua - you and I have a daughter
Ko tenei tāku tamāhine - this is our daughter


Kei te waenga tā mātou - this is our garden 3+
He waenga tā mātou
Ko tēnei tō mātou māra
Tō mātou māra tenei.


Kei te rare a ia - these are their lollies
Ko ēnei ā rātou rare.
Ā rātou rare ēnei


WOW - talk about a HUGE learning curve… Yesterday I was so far in the pit there was danger I a) wouldn’t make it out… and b) would lose motivation!
I woke up this morning disappointed with my effort, so I came back and had a second attempt.  After much effort and frustration I sought support!  Gemma you are a legend!  Tino pai rawa atu!


I am learning, I am being a little more realistic with my expectations of myself, and I am restored to giving it even more of an effort!


Anne's kōrero on PhotoPeach

All that remains is for me to voice record this and put online... woohoo... onto the next module soon... and still smiling...

No comments:

Post a Comment