Thursday, November 21, 2013

Literacy Online - Update 17 September 2013

I have recently taken on the role of Literacy Online Facilitator.  This listserv is open to all teachers and educators and is a place to share ideas, request help and resources and establish professional relationships. 



I have decided to curate my weekly updates here too.  

Here is the link if you would like to sign up to the Literacy Mailing List!

Literacy Online - Update 17 September 2013

Thank you for the warm welcome to this role, one I am really looking forward to growing into. 
I am working as a Blended e-learning Facilitator this year, after twelve years teaching across the levels in schools in and around Otago.  I was very fortunate to celebrate a study leave year in 2011 thanks to TeachNZ when I completed my Master of Educational Leadership.  I also travelled around New Zealand visiting classes and schools, meeting with teachers, exploring innovative learning spaces and use of mobile devices.  I was very fortunate to return to school last year and implement a BYOD learning environment, and enable learners to design their own learning spaces.  With a particular passion for literacy I was able to experiment with and see the potential of the mobile devices for learning, collaborating, creating and sharing.  I was particularly inspired with the success of struggling literacy learners in a blended learning environment.  I look forward to sharing successes with you and hearing of successes you have celebrated with your literacy programmes online. 
Now would be a great time to order or download your copy of Ka Hikitia Accelerating Success 2013 – 2017.  The Education Gazette contains an update including Tips and Techniques for Ka Hikitia.
How might you use this?
September’s Community Newsletter is well worth a read.
You still have time to register for this week’s Live Webinar: Schools, Google Apps and the cloud.  This is on Wednesday the 18th of September from 3.45 to 4.45pm.  If you are unable to make it and would like to follow, you can check here in a few days and also check out all the previous recordings.  Webinar recordings.
You may like to check out this TedTalk.  Doug Belshaw raises some very interesting issues about memes, remixing and shares his eight essential elements of Digital Literacies.
What does it mean to be literate?
What effect does re-mix have in our everyday life?
How does digital literacy affect our identity?
What does it mean that digital literacies need to be socially negotiated?
What are the essential elements of digital literacies?
Do you agree with Doug’s elements?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Ngā mihi nui

Anne Kenneally
Literacy Online Primary Facilitator
CORE Education

No comments:

Post a Comment