Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Preparing my eduignite… "I'm not there yet..."

Preparing my eduignite…
One week out from eduigniteINVERS I am asking myself, WHY oh WHY did you say you would share a session?  WHY did you add this to your already BUSY schedule? Hmm good question indeed?  I think the answer lies in FOMO.  Fear of missing out on an opportunity to challenge myself.  Weird but true.  I embrace challenge, thrive on it in fact.  So, although I am nowhere near ready to present, I have had hours of preparation, reflection and contemplation on how to share my session “I’m not there yet”.  I am loving it.  It is very good to be shaken and challenged and moved outside my comfort zone again.  I am reflecting on it daily, and I think, I am owning the presentation in a way that simply wouldn’t be possible if I prepped it all in one go. 

This brings me to my wondering….

What is the best way to prepare for a session?

What works for you? I would love to hear your preparation schedules…

Does it depend on the session?  The kaupapa?  The context?  The audience?

I’d love to share a few of my approaches. 
1.     Topic, Title or Question – I love to have this nailed down, sorted in my head to shape my preparation.  Although I often change this nearer the session, I feel a good title or question shapes my reading, my thinking, if you like, RAS alerts me for opportunities to focus my thinking to support my preparation.
2.     Bones – I like to have the bones of the session imagined.  In a way, I liken it to storyboarding.  Mapping my session out helps shape my preparation. 
3.     UDL – Universal Design for Learning requires me to: connect with, know, survey my audience.  Conscious of meeting the needs of my audience I try to know as much as I can, and I plan to cater for the margins.  Just in typing this, I have challenged myself to revisit my eduignite session and look at ways to make it more accessible for all. 

4.     Timeframes, audience, UDL survey,

No comments:

Post a Comment