SOLO Taxonomy in the Classroom (primary)
Solo taxonomy came out of research, not a whim, Professor John Biggs looked at thousands of exampled of student work....
SOLO is a way at looking at the physical structure of a variety of ideas.
- Prestructural - No idea;
- Unistructural - Find one relevant idea;
- Multistructural - Find out heaps;
- Relational - Find connections between ideas - linking/relating;
- Extended abstract - know deeply and now able to push the boundaries. Pushing ideas out to create something new, extending;
The taxonomy is about the work, it is not about the learner....
The learner may talk about their work as being at one stage or another!
THEY MAY NOT EVER TALK ABOUT THEM SELF AS BEING ONE STAGE OR ANOTHER! They are a learner! They are not a stage!
Carol Dweck research! Mindset
Learning outcome comes from effort and strategies!
What strategies have I got that would help me here? Venn Diagram, think pair share, actively displaying the strategies that help achieve different learning outcomes. eg If I can't connect the ideas, maybe my teacher can help me.
Carol Dweck - the perils of promise and praise!
Thinking about how we praise, the language we use, and being aware of impact of our words.
Giving our learners of a mental model of learning - all about effort and effective strategies! Cement this in from day one! Learning is nothing to do with being smart, being dumb, or being lucky!
SOLO Taxonomy Hand signs
- Comes from reserach
- User friendly
- Stops fixed mindset
- Strategy development
- Incredibly well resourced
- HUGE community in New Zealand
- What am I doing, How well is it going, What should I do next?
- Task and outcome can be at different levels
I am committing here and now to learning, using, growing myself in SOLO taxonomy!!!
Using visual maps for learners to draft their thinking onto!
The power of using this map to extend and develop our planning and thinking...
PURE MAGIC thanks Pam. An incredibly powerful session which is changing my way of being, learning, growing and facilitating!!!