Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Flying… blogging… hand in hand again….

What a week… and oh, it is only Wednesday! 
This is the week, I am taking back control of my life.  It is amazing how transformational it is to just write that down and say it out loud!
For the last few weeks I have been feeling increasingly snowed under, and pressurized in the feeling of playing catchup! Many things have aligned to bring about the necessary change, not least of which is due to the fabulous mentoring by Hazel.  As part of my role I am a developing mentor and as such I am mentored!  These sessions are transformative.  I have said and will say again that at times Hazel is like my lifeline.  

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE MY JOB!!! I really love it, in fact maybe that is part of the problem. When you love what you are doing it is incredibly easy to keep doing, do more, say yes, add on more and just keep adding to the list.  Suddenly I began feeling like I was playing catchup and I had an incredibly déjà vu feeling and I realised it is time to wake up.  I am no good to anyone, or anything when I am less than 100% for everything.  Time for a deep reflection and re-prioritising.  I needed to take back control! 

When I reflected on my roles I saw a real drift from the proactive leader quadrant to the reactive management quadrant of life.  I find everything much more of a challenge when it is reactive. 

So, I have set some firm boundaries with myself!  I am taking back control!  I am saying, YES, I do have time for that reading – because that reading is my work. I am saying I do have time for those mentoring modules because those modules are my work.  I am saying I do have time for powering down and spending quality time with my nearest and dearest, because they are my life.

If I was in class, I could not ever imagine saying, I don't have time for planning, I am too busy teaching.  Just as in this role, I cannot say I don't have time for reading, gathering evidence and detailing my inquiry, because my inquiry is my work. 

I know that because of my nature and the nature of my work, I will slip back but for now, I am in control!!!!


As I fly today, I am up above the clouds, the air is clear and the view amazing!  Like life, there is a clearing and a beautiful view when we are in control of our workload, our commitments, our life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment