Kia ora tātou,
The MAGICAL autumn weather continues as the end of term approaches. I sure hope it continues through next week and into the holidays.
This week we are focusing on the Financial Literacy Resources
“Financial literacy is deﬁned as the ability to make informed judgments and effective decisions on the use and management of money. Being financially literate gives students choices, helps to protect them from unexpected events, and enables them to have a voice as consumers and citizens.”
Financial capability allows teachers to explore a theme across all curriculum areas. This updated section on NZC Online provides ideas for key competency and values as well as downloadable teaching ideas.
In particular, we would like to draw your attention to the
- Financial capability discussion tool which helps you to explore the what, why, how, and so what of financial capability
- The financial capability progressions to help you understand where you are and where to next.
- The resources for teachers section which contains the downloadable teaching ideas plus online and print resources.
- School stories to help you see what other schools have done to explore financial capability.
Anne’s Latest Literacy Links and Look ups…
- Ten Things Good Writers Do by Tim Shanahan written as a blog post requested by high school students. Full of wonderful tips for writing, this is well worth reading and sharing. "...good writing is bad writing that has been rewritten."
- Please take time this week to check out this amazing resource; Kid’s speak progressions - primary. Huge thanks to Mary-Anne Murphy and the team who have worked tirelessly to create and share this resource for all to use, and adapt to suit their needs.
- LEARNZ as a reading resource “LEARNZ virtual field trips provide a unique experience for students and teachers in New Zealand schools and an essential part of every LEARNZ field trip is written text, along with other resource material such as photos, videos and audios. A LEARNZ web page is constructed to scaffold reading for students.” Have you signed your class up for the next LEARNZ field trip? Now would be a great time to sign up for an active term two learning experience with the LEARNZ team. Memorial Park 2 - a roading project to remember those who served at war. Term 2 starting 13 May 2014.
- Educational blogs and their effects on pupils' writing by the CfBT Education Trust is an important piece of research on the effects of blogging.
- Over on the Secondary Literacy mailing list Mikhal Stone, a science facilitator working at Team Solutions, shared a strategy called Talking to the Text. It is about making more concrete those things that good readers do. You can read his post or watch a short clip of talking to the text in action.
NZLA - the 37th New Zealand Literacy Association Conference. Register now.
CLESOL - the 14th National Conference for Community Languages and ESOL. Register now.
Ngā mihi nui
Literacy Online Facilitator
To post to the list email: firstname.lastname@example.org