Monday, May 25, 2015

Module 2 (Topic 1): Mentoring conversations

Topic 1: Virtual mentoring roles
Ma whero ma pango ka oti ai te mahi
With red and black the work will be complete
 (When we co-operate the work is completed)

Many roles are required in the mentoring journey:
·      role model
·      champion
·      cheerleader
·      leader
·      guide
·      adviser
·      counsellor
·      coach 
·      sponsor 
·      protector 
·      preceptor
Mentees must be given a voice.  My role as a mentor may vary frequently depending on the situation, time, and challenge.  I can support by encouraging my mentee to hold a mirror to their practice.

Steps in the mentoring model:
·      Listen without interruption
·      Invite more information
·      Summarise/paraphrase
·      Check
·      Follow where your mentee goes
·      Move to possibility and action
·      Systemic connection
·      Specific action and timeline…

Working through this module requires us to think of qualities of someone who has been or is of significant support in my life.  I have chosen to reflect on a friend who is always there, supporting me in my various family, work, life balance roles.  I am extremely grateful for this support!

Qualities of my significant supporter:
·      listener;
·      challenger;
·      calmer;
·      provoker;
·      supporter;
·      reassure;
·      honest reflector;
·      realist;
·      positivist;
·      friend.

Western roles of a mentor can be described as follows:
·      directive,
·      non-directive,
·      nurturing and
·      stretching.

Placing a cultural lens on mentoring roles allows for Pasifika terms:
·      Directive - Fa'a tonu
·      Guiding - Ta'ita'i
·      Exploring - Iloilo / Su'e su'e
·      Supporting - Lagolago
·      Challenging - Lu'i tau
·      Catalysing - Fa'atupa manatu

The role of questioning is critical in our mentoring role:
·      Investigator (knowledge): Who, what, when, where, why, how . . . ? Could you please describe . . . ? 
·      Guide (comprehension): Would I be right in thinking...? What did you understand from...?” 
·      Mentor (application): How do you feel X is an example of Y?; How would you say that X is related to Y?; Why do you feel that X is significant in your context? 
·      Coach (analysis): What are the identifiable aspects of . . . ? Would you classify X according to Y? 
·      Investigator (synthesis): What are your thoughts around solutions for . . . ? What would you infer from . . . ? What are your additional reactions to . . . ? How might you go about designing a new . . . ? What could happen if you added . . . ?  
·      Advisor (evaluation): What do you about trying . . . ? What is the most important outcome for.. . ? Which would you say are the highest priority for . . . ? What would help you decide to . . . ?
DVM Module 2:1

McKenzie's Questioning Toolkit 17 types of question are listed
Active listening involves comprehending, retaining and responding.

The more time I spend with the DVM modules, the more enthralled I become.  Like anything, the more you read and do, the more you realize how much there is to read and learn, the more I want to read and learn. 

As mentoring increasingly becomes our way of supporting Principals and e-leaders, I am grabbing any opportunity available to grow myself in this role. 


I have just started reading the book  “A more beautiful question” which is challenging me and growing me in my curiosity… but that is another post, another read, another day…

No comments:

Post a Comment